Sunday, August 06, 2006

Book Report

I've read a couple good books recently, and I thought I'd share. Two of them happen to be children's books.

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson: Somehow I missed this book as a child. I read it the other day because I have heard such good things about it, and I want Alyssa to read it this year. I am trying to do more prereading of her material. This was an amazing book, but incredibly sad. I finished it a little after midnight one night, and I proceeded to bawl my eyes out. Maybe part hormones, but mostly incredible writing.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Decamillo: I read this right after Alyssa did. It only took me a little over an hour. It reads like a wonderful fairy tale and has a moral equivilant to an Aesop fable. It is such a beautiful book. It describes love in a most unusal way. I'm planning on reading this to Lauri and Gavin this week.

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice:Brett read this awhile back, and he kept bugging me to pick it up. I did, and I managed to finish it in about three days. You definately have to read this as fiction, but it is still amazingly spiritual. Rice's writing flows well, and it is encaptivating to enter into a child Jesus' thoughts.

I need to decide which book I'm going to pick up next. I'm debating between prereading The City of Ember (by Jeanne Duprau) for Alyssa's September book club or Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I may just go ahead and start both. Since they're so incredibly different, I can't imagine that I'll have any trouble keeping them separate :)

Side note on movies: Brett and I watched Rumor Has It last night with Kevin Costner and Jennifer Aniston. A rather odd plot, but we enjoyed it. Shirley MacLaine was hilarious. It was a fun way to spend a Saturday night. Tonight we're watching Flight of the Navigator. Somehow, I missed this as a child (it came out in 1986), but luckily I'm married to the king of 80s juvinile SciFi movies. Pretty funny that I don't remember this movie, especially since its set where I actually lived in 1986. The girls are really enjoying it, but poor Gavin fell asleep about 20 minutes into it.

No comments: