Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Watching The Little Mermaid with my children...

This movie came out when I was about 9 1/2 years old. I consider it a movie from "my childhood". A classic Disney film- the movie that brought back animated features- etc, etc.

So, I was pleased to share it with my children for the first "real" time. They've seen clips of it before, read the books (Disney versions, of course) and are very familiar with the storyline and characters. But this was the first time sitting down actually watching it. I must say, the Disney people did a great job of restoring the color to this movie- it looks fantastic!

What are my children's thoughts on this timeless classic from my childhood?

Alyssa: "How come when Ursula gets ploinked by Eric, it kills her?" Ploinked? Where on earth did she come up with that word. I prefer to say "shish-ka-bobed".

Gavin: "I'm gonna puke!!!!" complete with jumping up from laying down and grabbing his throat (for Gavin to move at all when watching tv is a big deal). This comment came during the "Kiss the Girl" scene just as Eric leans over to kiss Ariel. Sometimes, he's such a boy- those would be the times he's not dancing around singing "Popular" from WICKED or playing dolls with his sisters.

Lauri: "Ursula has huge bo*bs!" She had to repeat this numerous times, and once even added, "They're bigger than my head!!!" That's my little princess.

The kids seemed to loose interest by the very end, although they all wanted to know if Ariel was going to come out of the water naked. Ugh. Brett and I ended up having to tell them to be quiet just so we could enjoy the final scene.

They all asked to watch it again soon- it a Hoedl childhood obsession- watch a movie once, then proceed to watch it as many times as possible in the next two weeks. I think next time we put it on, I'll skip it- maybe Brett and I can watch it in peace and quiet one night :)

No comments: